Electricity can cause serious and potentially fatal injuries, especially to children and pets. Learn what to do and what to avoid to ensure that your home is safe for your family at all times. Here are Captain Electric’s Do’s and Don’ts….
- Keep appliances regularly serviced and maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Regularly remove build up of dust and dirt around the electric motor of exhaust fans. Trapped dirt can overheat and cause fires.
- Use a qualified, licensed electrician for any electrical repairs around your home.
- Use plug covers and stove guards if you have small children or babies in the home.
- Have safety switches installed at your meter box and test them regularly by pressing the test button.
- Keep electrical cords, appliances and devices away from water.
- Use faulty electrical appliances, or appliances with frayed cords, broken or cracked plugs, or that have sparked or given anyone an electric shock in the past.
- Overload power boards and plug sockets with too many appliances. If you must use power boards, make sure they have surge protectors built-in to avoid overloading the system.
- Repair faulty electrical appliances yourself. Always get professional help from a repairman or electrician.
- Spray household cleaners, insecticides or detergents on electrical appliances or accessories.
- Pull electrical appliances out of the wall by the cord, always take them out by the plug.
- Touch a damaged wall socket. Cover it immediately and call an electrician.
If you have any concerns about the electrical safety of your home, call Captain Electric (REC 18185) on 1300 445 996 or visit us at www.captainelectric.com.au. We are available 24/7 to respond to emergencies, and our qualified, professional electricians will ensure a safe, high quality result. Captain Electric – we go Above and Beyond.